Me, my Mind and a Wedding – Part 2

If you have read my previous post, you will know that I was travelling north to Norwich to attend the wedding of my good friend. After a brief moment of panic on the train, I reached the meeting point to joint my brother and his wife for the drive the rest of the way.

The drive was thankfully uneventful, except for the fact that we spent too much time having lunch at McDonalds. This meant a quick dash for the last few miles and a jog to the registry office. Both of these things are not unusual where my brother is concerned. He seems to use time at twice the normal speed, resulting in what we call a ‘bat-run’.

The ceremony was lovely and I felt glad that I was able to attend. Despite all my anxiety and worry early on, it was a real achievement for me to do it considering recent months. It bolstered my confidence that when I really want to, I can do it.

My friend is battling his own health issues at the moment and it brought home to me just how precious life is and that we need to make the most of it. We never know when things will go wrong and so we need to grab each moment with both hands and hang on.

There was a hearty buffet and an open tab on the bar so that made the afternoon go with a swing and the chocolate cake was sublime. Although my shadow did remind me that I shouldn’t eat the perfectly fine chicken wings or fish strips. As I can’t drink on my meds, I chose to drive back so that my brother could have a drink.

As the saying goes, ‘The Best Laid Plans’ and all that. What was supposed to be a routine return journey, turned into a race against time.

We hit major traffic that was at a standstill. For what seemed like hours, but was just 40 minutes, we contemplated what had caused such a halt. We also discussed the possibility of sleeping in the car, and sending some kind of distress flare as no-one knew we were there despite the hundred or so other vehicles.

As quickly as it stopped, the traffic started to flow again. There didn’t seem to be an obvious cause but by this time we didn’t care. We were running behind schedule and that meant I might miss my train.
Luckily, we were still in time for me to catch it and with a brief detour through the wrong door at the station, I eventually found the platform. Unfortunately, I didn’t realise that I was in fact going to miss my bus by a matter of two minutes.

So, six hours and many modes of transport later, I arrived home. I was exhausted and a bit on edge, but I suddenly thought that I had not felt anxious since the morning.

I was pleasantly surprised and pleased that my shadow hadn’t spoiled what was a lovely if long day. Apart from the odd dig to remind me it was still there.

I will be writing others posts about specific events about this day, so keep an eye out for those.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s